Old November 1st 14, 11:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Default Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

Michael Benveniste wrote:
On 10/31/2014 4:10 PM, Trevor wrote:
What are the opinions on this series? It turned out to be a lot
larger than I expected. And I find it interesting that it still
appears to have a 25 cent face value. Would this still be considered
legal tender, or is it technically just a large silver round? Is it
likely to have long-term numismatic value?

They are legal tender for $0.25 as mandated by the enabling
legislation. Except for a few legal corner cases, it has little
meaning.

The face value is primarily intended as an attempt to have the coin
protected by international monetary law. Almost all countries are
signatories to agreements to prosecute forgeries of foreign money
under the same terms as they prosecute forgeries of their own money.

Peter.