Old July 20th 03, 03:59 PM
J. A. Mc.

That is just crowns, no types ('middle' set) ... if there's no wmk
it's the later set, if there's an "E" or "R", then it's first set.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:18:30 GMT, Craig found these
unused words floating about:

Thanks,
I just went out a got a bottle of Swan fluid, but to be honest, it
didn't reveal any more than holding up to the light. I am looking at a
GB 1955 5' SG no. 596, i can see a crownut can't tell which one it is.

Regards

Craig

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:30:57 -0500, Bob Watson
wrote:

I've used Zippo/Ronson lighter fluid for years and never had any
problems with residue. But try for yourself on low value stamps to start
with.

Some time back someone suggested using a black floor/wall tile rather
than a special tray and that was a brilliant idea. You can do several
stamps at once, compare them side by side, and sort them into groups
while the watermark is still visible. (Specially handy for some
Australian stamps where there are large-crowns and not quite so
large-crowns to be distinguished).

One thing I have found when checking watermarks, hinge remnants and
heavy cancels really make things difficult. Not much you can do about
cancels, but it really does help to soak off any hinges.

All the best,
Bob Watson

Craig wrote:

Thank you bith,
Bob, i have seen several articles on the net warning off lighter
fluid, you do just mean regular Zippo or similar fluid ?
Doesn't it leave a greasy residue ?