Old July 20th 03, 11:24 AM
Craig

Thank you bith,
Bob, i have seen several articles on the net warning off lighter
fluid, you do just mean regular Zippo or similar fluid ?
Doesn't it leave a greasy residue ?

Many thanks

Craig

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:45:28 GMT, Bob Ingraham

From: J. A. Mc.
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:16:50 -0700
Subject: Watermarks

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:42:47 GMT, Craig found these
unused words floating about:

Hi all,

What is the best way to see the watermarks in pre decimal GB stamps ?
I know i can buy a bit of kit from the Stanley Gibbons site but i am
under instruction not to spend more money on another hobby ( carp
fishing and sat tv are not cheap !!)
I have tried laying some face down on a black background but can't
seem to see anything.

Regards

Craig

Holding just above a matte black BG lampin font and at 45* and
slightly tilting will show many. Still there are those you won't see
clearly, so you would need the $10 'kit'. (Fluid & Tray) for those.

Carp-a-day'um? G

Or, a very small expenditure -- $3 max -- for ordinary lighter fluid and a
piece of any old black cardboard or plastic. A watermark tray is handy (I
suck any unused lighter fluid back into the can), but not necessary. I've
been using watermark fluid for more years than I like to think, and I've
never seen the slightest damage from it. Common sense dictates that it's
used with plenty of ventilation, and in as small an amount as necessary.

Bob Ingraham