Old September 5th 10, 09:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default Should Students Still Be Taught Cursive Writing?

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Brian Ketterling" wrote...
...The arguments
against seem shaky and inconsistent, and I wonder how much of it is
parents
who don't want to take the time to help their kids learn to write.

Why lay it on the parents? Teachers teach and either the student cares to
get it or not.

I get you, but what I was referring to was public opinion. A significant
portion of the American public seems to against the teaching of cursive (or
possibly handwriting in general), and the sentiment that appears to me to
underlay a lot of the commentary is "Ugh, it's too much trouble!". I wonder
whether people who feel *that* way are really worried that Junior's brain
will be taxed too much -- or rather that they might have to help out.

One anecdote I'll toss in, because it's recent to me: I know someone who
works in a daycare center. She's currently taking classes to keep her
childhood development certification up to date, and in that context she's
concerned with issues like environmental exploration and its attendant
learning opportunities. However, one of her current practical workplace
problems is that an increasing number of parents are bringing in 3, and even
4 year olds who still aren't potty-trained. When she asks about it, they
grouse "Ain't my problem, that's what I pay YOU tuh do!" It's hard to
picture those same people, a few years down the road, sitting down with
Susie and helping her learn how to form a lowercase "r".

Brian