Old June 27th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Dueling authors.... well, ideas anyway.

On 27 Jun 2006 15:43:02 -0700, wrote:

Dave wrote:
On 26 Jun 2006 17:16:52 -0700,
wrote:

Tsk, I should have remembered 1984 at least from Lit class, but it was

always scheduled in the morning ....

That strikes me as a bit bizarre,
because almost any person of
normal reading ability EXPERIENCES
"1984" and could not forget the story
if he wanted to.

That's a pretty broad generalization.
I consider myself to be a person with 'normal reading ability' and I
didn't "experience 1984". I slogged through it, hating every minute.
Maybe it would have been more powerful had I read it at a different
stage in my life (I think I was in freshman high school English, so I
was, oh, about 13. Might have been sophmore year, that would make me
14.)
I slogged through Animal Farm and Fahrenheit 451 the same year. Hated
them, as well. I don't think I was ready for overt socio-political
commentary in my fiction yet.

Barb