Old June 30th 06, 05:43 PM
daveteds daveteds is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what edition this is
and how much it may be worth.
This is a probably a later printing of the Doubleday Crime Club 1st edition. The 1st printing is labeled 'First Edition' on the copyright page. I have both the 1st printing and the later printing. Value is a little flexible on this since it is quite rare. I have bought mine and seen other copies for less than $10 but lately they have been getting more. I think one went on eBay a few months ago for $20-25 or so as I remember. Since there is only one copy up for sale on the internet at $40 that is not very good so I guess that you got an ok deal. I think maybe it is time I put my extra copy up for sale!

As for when it was published, my guess is that it was also 1930 or so. The two editions are identical except for the copyright page and I think that the second printing would have been done soon after the 1st to accomodate demand. These books would have been printed by Grosset and Dunlap or under the Sun Dial imprint if they were done much later, I think.

This was the author's first book though he was very successful in the pulp magazines in 1929.