Old February 1st 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default Survey: The Good, The Bad about eBay - Worthwhile Coin Websites & Alternative Ideas?

In article , "Nick Knight"
wrote:

Hi.

I'd like to divert myself away from certain other threads/arguments without
more killfile entries, so let me see if I can find some good feedback on
the subject indirectly, and do a little brain storming.

Ok, we all know that eBay is currently the king of the online auction. I'm
about done reading a book called "Boom!" in which they talk about how kings
(companies) can and do fall off of the thrown. Sometimes it takes a long
time and changes in environment, but it can happen. I'm on a tangent
already. I'm not looking to suggest competition with eBay ... that would
be silly. But what alternatives might be out there?

[snip]

I'm on a continual search to find cost-effective and time-efficient
alternative selling venues. Unfortunately, other than eBay and my
website, there ain't much out there.

Amazon Auctions worked for a while, but deteriorated when they
added zShops, and I eventually stopped listing there.

Yahoo!Auctions was halfway sorta decent for a while, but then
they went "free" and got deluged with grossly overprice crap
basically "parked" on their site ... and with continuous "free"
relists, it simply never went away. Yahoo eventually collapsed
under its own weight (sellthrough rate approached zero) and
they discontinued their auction site.

Bidville and ePier, both "free" sites, have suffered from
Yahooitis from Day One, simply being Lists Of Overpriced Crap,
with continuous relists to the point that they are not even worth
browsing to find the one truffle in the sea of mud ...

Other "meteoric" websites have come and gone, some spectacularly
so like Wagglepop which was "shuttered" before it even launched,
then "relaunced" later under somewhat mysterious circumstances.

Overstock, eCrater, Bluejay, somewhosenamesIveforgotten ...
it's a VAST WASTELAND out there ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website: