Old October 14th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Princess Di or the Great Gazoo? You decide...

On Oct 14, 1:32*pm, Voltronicus wrote:
On Oct 14, 1:31*pm, "note.boy" wrote:

Very true, even the Royal Mint portraits have gone down the tubes. *Billy

The latest protrait of the Queen is horrid.

Actually, I can appreciate that the Fourth Portrait (by Ian Rank-
Broadley) is probably fairly honest (as was Victoria's Veiled Head
portrait).

H.M. is, of course, 82 years old.

The Fourth Portrait may be too large in comparison to the size of the
smaller coins - it may take up too much of the field. This could be
one reason why the sovereigns and half-sovereigns don't seem to strike
up as fully as in the past.

The Canadian Dora dePedrey-Hunt portrait of H.M. - now that qualifies
as horrid (and it was probably intentionally so, as the government of
that day wanted to repatriate "The Constitution" and ditch the ties to
the Commonwealth and the Throne - they only got the first part
accomplished).

I know that if my honest profile portrait were on a coin, it would
look a bit like William IV, but bald and rather worse than Old Sailor
Billy (that is to say, a bit along the lines of hammered SHXT). And I
am just at 50.

What would your portrait look like, RF???

oly