Old June 13th 04, 01:56 AM
H Schinske

No, it wouldn't be fraktur, as that's only the old German typeset used.
There is, however, an old German cursive alphabet, which is very hard to
decipher nowadays even to a native German.

I had to learn it once to decipher some 19th-century German inscriptions.
Unfortunately too many letters look just alike -- as I recall, the lowercase E
looked very like an N or an R, so a great many words turned into nothing but
what looked like mmmmmm or nnnnnn or rrrr. Handwritten Russian (which looks a
bit similar) has the same tendency. It helps to have some mnntal tnlnpathy
going.

There is a recent book called _Deciphering Handwriting in German Documents_, by
Roger P. Minert, that may be of some use, reviewed at
http://www.pgsa.org/bookrD.htm

I couldn't get www.ggrs.com/events/handouts/handout_script.pdf to load just
now, but it looked useful.

--Helen