Old June 28th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Dueling authors.... well, ideas anyway.

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:06:54 -0500, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

........Much snippage of a waste of electrons....

I didn't say it was a stretch. I said that I didn't EXPERIENCE! it,
the way that you assume I must have. All I remember of 1984 is the
concepts of doublespeak and Big Brother; none of the plot has stuck
with me.

Fahrenheit 451 was much the same, I remember a couple of the
overarching concepts (as you say, that firemen burned books, and
something about a colony of memorizers.) Plot? Nope. Don't remember it
from the book.

The books that -did- make an impression on me from that time were the
ones I wanted to read, (Don Quixote) the ones I enjoyed, (The Count of
Monte Christo) and the ones that drew me into the story (Dante's
Inferno) or fascinated me with the information, (Ploesti, The Great
Escape) if they were non-fiction (and I read a lot of non-fiction for
a 13-year old.)

They were both books that I hated having to read, therefore, anything
I had to remember for the test was stored in short-term memory, and
most of it faded away almost as fast as the geometry theorems I
learned the next yea

r.
Just Killfile the goof and save yourself some time. Oh, and please
don't quote him, it only encourages him and causes those who have
already dumped him to read his posts.

Dave