Old March 17th 09, 07:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Andy

Default 8 track player

sounds more like a tape related problem as it only does it on certian tapes.
have you tried those tapes on another player do they do the same on that
machine?

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Alien Spawn" wrote in message
Hi All,

Back on usenet after about a 10 or so year hiatus...

have a q about my recently acquired Craig H260 8 track player/recorder.
All looks near pristine and I am slowly acquiring a collection of 8 track
tapes to compliment my "70's Marantz and Pioneer supersystem". The 8 track
player records and plays very well, but, on some tapes i get crackling
sound - as if there are magnetic filings on the tape "adding" to the sound
as the tape passes the head (which looks as new and polished). Some tapes
are fine, the ones I record are fine, but some tapes are shocking with the
crackling noise = even some straight out of shrinkwrap. none have bad
pinch rollers and i've redone the tape cushioning on some - with no
audible change.

is this a head or tape problem ?

anyone come across this before? My Jethro Tull and Commodres tapes sound
really bad, while my partridge family and country church 8 tracks sound
bewdiful....something's gotta give !!!!