Old March 23rd 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

Default Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

On Mar 22, 9:30*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

Happened again today at a thrift store. * Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. * The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. *I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. * Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. * *So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? *What-ever!

If you can't understand the clerk's reaction to your deuces and halves, why
not simply hand her the five or five ones that she probably expected?

I almost never have singles on me, let alone five of them. The
halves seem to gather more interest than the $2's although I've had
customers behind me buy either/or from the cashier after seeing me
spend them. Besides, some clerks get a kick out of seeing this
"rare" currency that isn't rare at all :-) There is one place I
visit that thanks me for spending them as they exchange them and then
give the oddball currency as gifts to their kids.

OZ, gathering up 36 halves to pay for a 5K race. Yes, I pay money to
see how slow I can run.