Old September 12th 18, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J.B. Wood

Default Original Bic

This is probably a who-cares type of question but if one is of a certain
age and remembers the original Bic "Crystal" (note not "Cristal"):

I first encountered this non-retractable ballpoint pen as a kid in the
early '60s and it sold for I think 15 or 19 cents at the local drug
store. The look was essentially the same as the currently available
"Cristal" but the entire point and nose cone consisted of brass, unlike
now where the nose cone is plastic. There were also TV ads at the time
where the pen was strapped to a figure skaters' blade or shot out of a
rifle to demo its quality. So the trivia question is when did Bic
switch to the plastic nose cone (presumably a production cost savings)
and change "Crystal" to "Cristal"? I'm assuming Bic also improved their
ink over the decades as those earlier models would sometimes result in
ink siphoning out into the pen housing, oozing out the vent hole and
into your shirt pocket! Thanks for your time and historical comment.
Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: