Old November 14th 03, 02:05 AM
BobbyShaw

Default Holiday Swap update

Hey fellow swappers!

Well, I'm done with making all the swap pairs and will begin e-mailing people
tonight (after dinner and the wife goes to sleep). There's a BUNCH of people
to e-mail, so it may take me as long as Saturday to e-mail everyone (although
I'm hoping to be done by Friday).

This means, I can unfortunately accept no more entries. Here are the final
totals:

We ended up with 53 (wow!) people entering 99 swap categories. We had several
international entries coming from Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, and
Belgium. Here are the category entry totals:

USA under $10 -- 10
USA $10-$25 -- 28
USA over $25 -- 21
World under $10 -- 6
World $10-$25 -- 8
World over $25 -- 5
potpourri under $10 -- 6
potpourri $10-$25 -- 10
potpourri over $25 -- 5

The partner pairings were completely random (with a few exceptions.. which I'll
explain). I cut up numbered bits of paper and added them to a cup, drew those
numbers, and matched them to names on the spreadsheet. As I said, I made a few
exceptions. I made sure that everyone entered into multiple categories got
different partners. Also, as you can see above, we ended up with 3 odd number
groups. For those I will have a 3 person round robbin in that category, so the
person you send to will not be the person you receive from. I made sure that
the people in mutliple categories were involved in only one round robbin. I
also took special consideration with our international participants. I made
sure that anyone in the USA was only paired with one international swapper
(except for the person that specifically requested international swaps -- he's
in two). I didn't quite think it would be fair to burden anyone with multiple
larger shipping charges overseas (except for the people already overseas --
nothing I could do there!)

Anyways, if any of those occurances happened, I simply through the number back
in the hat and drew again.

So, expect your swap partner e-mails to arrive over the next 3 days. That's 99
e-mails to send out, so be patient!! I will put my last swap update after I
send out the last notice. There will be some important text at the top of
those e-mails. One about an author in our group that might be interested in
hearing from a number of you about a possible article, and some unpleasantness
that basically boils down to please, please, PLEASE follow though on your side
of this swap! Remember the spririt in which this exchange is entered and don't
use this as an opportunity to cheat your fellow RCC'er.

Well, that's it... for now! I've really enjoyed coordinating this this year.
And again, I thank all the advice and material I received from former swap
hosts. I don't think it would have gone as smooth without you guys!

Robert Shaw

--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html