Old April 28th 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gosh Darn

Default My "Cheap Slab" Story

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:56:05 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 10 Lirot Israeli Victory
coin in an NGC MS67 slab. Woo hoo! Could it make the condition census?

Not only did I spend the slabbing fee for a piece that's
worth little more than its bullion value of $15.20, but
I paid an NCS conservation fee as well.

Why? For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. I was dumb enough to keep it in its original
packaging. This resulted in PVC contamination,
so I decided to have NCS stabilize the coin. I didn't care about the final
grade, but seeing it come back as MS-67 did give me a bit of a pause,
especially since I thought it
was the proof version.

But the next time you see something like this in a slab,
now you know why it happens.

Because your grandfather gave them the coin?

They had PVC when he was a kid??? :-)