Old September 19th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Another stupidity from USPS???

On Sep 19, 3:39*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"rodney" wrote in message

"Ralphael1"
OK, ten different stamps in a coil of 50. Doesn't make sense to me
other than to force collectors to buy more stamps.

With great respect Ralph,
No one is "forcing" anyone to purchase.
That is the choice (and perhaps folly) of the "completionist"

Your ideal of expected behaviour of USPS will never match
their ideal of the profit and loss account.

Nice said, with the supplementary remark that through their buying behavior
the stamp collectors can somehow influence the PO stamps issuing policy.

Please notice that I haven't implied that the collectors can work out this
policy because there are also other factors involved, especially for the
stately owned postal services. Such services have to meet often
contradictory demands of their owners (which is the whole population, in its
full diversity).

--
Victor Manta

Regarding the coil stamps: USPS issues stamps in coils of 50, 100,
3,000, 5,000 and 10,000The Cave will sell a strip of stamps, 25 in the
case of low face value, from the 3000 and 5000 coils but not of the 50
and 100.
I do not live near a Philatelic Centers and do not know if they will
break coils of 50 and 100. They will sell you one stamp from the 3000,
5,000 or 10,000 coil if you so desire, and they do not charge for
postage to mail the stamps you order as the Cave does.
My point is this, Sell me a part of any coil so I do not have all that
excess postage.

RtOo