Old August 16th 03, 01:30 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:28:20 GMT, "Aram H. Haroutunian"
wrote:

Perhaps you should add what appears to be the most effective fraud-
fighting technique ever, as evinced by the 1877 counterfeit sale
just concluded.

This is another of those gray areas -- eBay vigilanteism. I've tried
this myself once, getting carried away with feelings of frustration
and indignation that eBay was letting this Toronto ancient coin
scammer get away with cheating dozens of people with auction after
auction of his cast counterfeits. I understand the motivations. And I
know lots and lots of good-intentioned people help police against
scammers this way on eBay, not only with coins but particularly with
those items in which the most scams are going on -- computer and
consumer electronics products.

What I don't know is if it's a good idea to recommend this, and in
fact I'm leaning toward thinking it's not a good idea. There's danger
to designating yourself a cop, even when there's a crying need for it,
danger that innocents will be hurt, that in your zeal to combat wrongs
you'll commit wrongs yourself because you, unlike a real cop, have no
training to do what you're doing. Again, though, I understand the
motivations.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom

I agree with your thoughts here. Why do I feel that what was done
was a GOOD thing? Maybe because of the credentials of the experts
and the evidence which was pretty overwhelming. Perhaps what I was
recommending was not that you suggest that someone do this, but you
might wish to mention what was done, in passing, and include your
caveats above.
Aram.