View Single Post
Old December 8th 12, 01:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

Default Where have all the collectors gone?

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:02:59 AM UTC-6, oly wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:41:20 AM UTC-6, Roßert G. Schaffrath wrote: On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, sgt23 wrote: On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, scotkamins wrote: I thought most of them died off. Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they are in a retirement home or an old folk's home. It is the same in amateur radio too. Most practitioners are middle ages men like myself. Granted I got my license when I was 27 but we all get old. Age is part of it, but the drying up of much discretionary income is a big part of it too. Also, when a common Franklin half dollar goes from being a three dollar item to a twelve or fifteen dollar item, can you justify the cost as a "collectable"??? Our hobby hasn't even begun to really sort out what the higher price of silver has done, starting about three years ago. Lots and lots and lots of the silver items that have been little coin collector's treasures after 1964 until now are going to hit the melting pot. Come to think of it, I think I really covered what happened to RCC in my first post in this thread.. You can blame us ******* trolls too, but we were just sideshow. oly

The middle class American standard of living is hitting the skids, and big time. Little pleasures like small-timey coin collecting get set aside, if not sold off. I've been pretty damn lucky in these regards, myself.

oly
Ads