Old November 28th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale

Default Anyone know how to remove paper on cloth-bound cover?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:02:25 -0500, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

On 11/27/2010 18:01 PM, R. Totale wrote:
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:51:12 -0800 (PST), RS
wrote:

Does anyone know a good way to remove this?

Water. Soak it.

Water is not particularly good for cloth book covers. It is
likely to remove dye from the fabric. I would avoid water.
If any water got on to paper parts of the book, it could
irreparably damage them.

Sorry for the triple post, usenet hiccup. Solvents like naptha are
generally ineffective against water soluable adhesives, or at least
less effective than water alone. I'm not suggesting he soak the book,
just the adhered paper. If water stuck it there as the OP claims,
water will likely remove it, and if the dye underneath was water
soluable the damage has obviously already been done.