Old September 23rd 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Turkey. Was: Irish independence?

"Alan" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
Israel has a football/soccer team in the European Cup this year.

Actually each time, and also in basketball. The reason is obvious, and it
has nothing to do with the geographical location.

Sorry, why obvious ?

Alan, you can eventually remember this event:
"The Munich massacre occurred during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich,
West Germany, when members of the Israeli Olympic team were taken hostage by
the Palestinian terrorist group Black September, a group with ties to Yasser
Arafat's Fatah organization. By the end of the ordeal, the group had
murdered eleven Israeli athletes and one German police officer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

Now, if something like that could happen in Munich, it is not difficult to
imagine what could happen if an Israeli sport team had to play in some of
its neighboring countries. In order to prevent such dangers, the sport teams
from Israel compete with the European ones, as well in Europe as in Israel.

Back to our topics, I'm not aware of postal stamps that commemorate the
victims of the Munich massacre but I suppose that some exist.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/