Old September 21st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Default Turkey. Was: Irish independence?

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

"Turkey (Turkish: Türkiye), known officially as the Republic of Turkey
(Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (help·info)), is a Eurasian country that stretches
across the Anatolian peninsula in southwest Asia and the Balkan region of
southeastern Europe."

I always had trouble at school grasping timelines,
and made an effort to bring chunks of time into perspective.
Turkey, I always used a date of 700AD as a time when
"The Pesian Empire" split and Turkey or the Byzantine empire
came into prominence.
from the Penguin book of medieval history shows AD650
http://cjoint.com/data/jvceCDQShL.htm

It was only c200 years later, the Vikings rowed, pulled,sailed
their longships across Europe, down the Dnieper and traded with
Byzantium.
(I welcome any corrections to my amateur history)