Old August 23rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Gary R. Leopold

Default Lever fill pen

Bluesea wrote:
"Serri" wrote in message
. ..
Shiva Das ha scritto:
1. Are you sure it is a cartridge pen? An older pen missing its ink sac
can _look_ like a cartridge pen if you pull the section away from the
body and there's nothing inside.

I looked inside the pen and there is nothing inside. It isn't like the
other cartridge pen that I own, and here is the problem.

2. is there any evidence of a filling system such as a lever, turning
knob, sleeve, etc? An eyedropper-fill pen can also look like a cartridge
filler missing its cartridge.

Yes, there is a lever in the back of the pen: when you pull it a foil
inside the pen goes down and opens a passage near the lever, when you
release the lever the body of the pen is hermetically closed.

3. Have you tried both short and long "International" size ink
cartridges?

What do you mean with "International" size? I tried short Pelikan
cartridges that work almost on every type of fountain pen and then I
tried long Parker cartridges, but they don't work.

Cartridges like the ones by Pelikan are called standard international
cartridges. They come in short and long sizes. Many companies make them.

Other companies such as Parker make cartridges that are proprietary. They
fit only the pens they make. Sometimes, they'll fit pens made by another
company, but not many other companies like with the standard cartridges.

It sounds to me as though the pen doesn't use cartridges. The lever is used
to fill the pen straight from a bottle of ink.

You are fortunate to have such a wonderful remembrance of your uncle.

Here's a link on how to fill lever filling pens. If it has not been
used in many years, you may need to replace the sac. Any pen repair
shop can do this.

http://www.vintagepens.com/filling_i...-fillers.shtml