Old August 24th 04, 04:34 PM
Sean Moffatt

(NizateTX) wrote in message ...

I've been doing world coins since the days of my youth, my wife says
I never left. World coins are great because there is so much variety
and many dealers (not just coin dealers) dont know or care what they
are and just want to turn them around for a quick profit. I have
scored numerous times at flea markets, antique stores, pawn shops and
even coin dealers that specialize in US coins who just wanted to get
rid of the world coins (AKA foreign junk)they have ammassed. If you
are on a budget good place to start is digging through "junk boxes".
Flea markets, pawn shops, antique stores. You may go through alot of
actual junk, and stuff that is ridicuously over priced,(especially in
antique stores), but there is great stuff out there. Again dealers who
specialize in US coins many times have a box of world coins that has
grown that they just want to get rid of. There is nothing wrong with
visiting world coin dealers as well, often times they have the more
elusive coins that you will probably never find in a box no matter how
long you look. I highly advise attending local coin shows. I never
seem to stay within my budget when I go, so beware. Coin clubs are
another great place to meet people who collect the same thing you do
or want to unload the same thing you want. Clubs are a great place to
exchange numismatic treasures. To get a large batch of minors at once
in relative "unc" condition Educational coin company
(
http://www.educationalcoin.com/) has a package of 250 different coins
in "unc" (or reasonably close) for a decent price. Even though it may
be retail priced it is easier than trying to get all the coins
seperately. I bought a 250 piece bag several years ago and was amazed
at how many holes it filled in my large collection. There are many
other world coin dealers on line. Joel Anderson pops into my mind
(http://www.joelscoins.com/). There are many others out there as well.
But expect to pay retail prices, (which is why I like "junk" boxes).
I would like to stress quality over quanity, it really does pay off
in the long run.

Happy hunting
Sean Moffatt

Hello All.

I am wanting to start collecting coins from around the world. I am not looking
for anything special, I would just like to have a set of coins from as many
countries as I can collect.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about getting started.