Old April 26th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default The Dr. Maya Angelou Stamp Blunder, by USPS

The stamp collectors still remember the Statue of Liberty blunder of the
USPS, a forever coil stamp issued Dec. 1, 2010 in billions of copies. On the
page Viva Las Vegas
(http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...as-liberty.htm) I
largely commented then on the Las Vegas replica that replaced on the stamp
the famous New York City harbor original.

Celebrating the Art on Stamps, USPS erred again on a new forever stamp that
was issued April 7, 2015 to honor the memory of the author Dr. Maya Angelou.
The phrase quoted on the stamp ("A bird doesn't sing because it has an
answer, it sings because it has a song.") was misattributed. It actually
appears on page 15 in the book "A Cup of Sun," by Joan Walsh Anglund,
copyrighted 1967.

You can find out more about this stamp and about the celebrated author from
the press excerpts that were recently published on the web, and which I
compiled on my new page. I was rather amazed by the plethora of Dr. Maya
Angelou's talents, the extent of the stamp issue celebrations and the high
profile of falsely quoting personalities, things that I learned about from
these excerpts.

Last but not least, I present toward the end of the page a SNA stamp that
correctly quotes from Dr. Maya Angelou.

More he
http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...mp-blunder.htm

--