Old September 26th 09, 10:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANTUPDATE)

On Sep 25, 12:48*pm, Stratum101 wrote:
On Sep 25, 9:43*am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htm** * Southwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

An interesting sentence. I was actually referring to
Dallas, a city positioned a little over 100 miles
from the Texas - Louisiana border.

(A check with the Google map shows
165 miles road distance from downtown Dallas to
the Louisiana state line. Okay. "A little
over 150 miles from Louisiana...")

The follow-on discussion about whether Texas
is Southern is just silly. All of it is,
even border towns like Brownsville and El Paso.
Most of Texas's population live in the eastern third
of the state on the western edge of the
Deep South. The cultural capital of that
Texas is Dallas. Or maybe it is
Waxahachie. They're neighboring
county seats.

There is something of a cultural divide in
the state. South Texas, beginning south
of Austin and centered on San Antonio,
is more Latino and politically bluer than
North Texas. One could stretch
"Latino Texas" clear out to El Paso.

The big ethnic divide in Texas the
Southern state is between white and
black. The ethnic divide in South
Texas is between Anglo and Latino.
But everywhere in Texas, the Anglos have
the same plumb-dumb Texas drawl
that accompanies wide-eyed amazement at
questions that are totally irrelevant to life like,
"Do you know where there's a half-decent
bookstore around here?"