Old September 25th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANTUPDATE)

On Sep 25, 9:43*am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htm* * * Southwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

Among U.S. cities over one million, Dallas has what
must be the poorest selection of books. The Bookstop
locations that you mention around Dallas and Fort
Worth were absorbed by Barnes & Noble years ago, just
like their big downtown store in New Orleans, which
as it happened was the first of the chain I'd ever seen
in 1991 when I made a trip from California to the Florida
Keys. (Of course I knew about B&N stores in the
Northeast and their humongous store on Fifth Ave. in
Manhattan.) Although Dallas is well served by the two large
chains, namely B&N and Borders, which each has its
30,000-50,000 titles, there is only one used bookstore
of importance. That is Half Price which like Powell's
in Portland sells a combo of used and new. It is a
chain in central and western states. Its headquarters
store is in Dallas and is quite a draw. After that,
there's nothing. It could be Irkutsk. Texans
are not readers.