Old March 14th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default There ought to be a law...

On 14 Mar 2006 12:10:51 -0800, "
wrote:

... against grading coins, then selling them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1878-8-TF-MORGAN...cmd ZViewItem

The whole idea of third party grading is lost when people do this.
Sellers can just crack out coins, up the grade, and jack the price.

Since there's no law, the only thing we can do is not to buy them. I
like the PCGS rule that bars graders to sell coins while they are
working as graders. It eliminates the immediate conflict of interest.

I'm sorry the beautiful 1878-8TF is trapped in that slab. Maybe we
should start a fund to "free Liberty!" She may actually have a chance
for a real 65, IMO. Any other opinions?

Anita

Well, not that I would bid on it, but I'm blocked by him anyway from
the big debacle where he blocked everyone in RCC. Anyway, he's got
make an offer available on that auction. If I could bid I would be
happy to offer $45 for the coin.
Cliff