Old May 31st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Map Reading: flu ?

Rod a écrit :

........................ergo French influence
must have carried down to the map maker. Latin is not in evidence in
the rest of the map.
For a bo-peep
http://cjoint.com/data/fFdRSwpAeX.htm

Rod,

That seems right : one can read :
- in the center of the map : "Ceader Ile" [Ceader Island] unless it is
"Ceader Fle" an abbreviation of Fleuve ???
I am uncertain of this 1st letter I or F ???
-also on the left : "Sharpes Ile"

On the two large estuaries Powhatan & Pamaunk, "flu" is followed by the
sign ":" meaning an abbreviation ???

But I also like Robert's explanation : latin - especially in Science -
was / is still used as a common language in many cases (like now in
botanic sciences).

HTH

--
All the best,