Old January 28th 13, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe[_2_]

Default First US global forever stamp, and Inverted Jenny SS

See inline comments

Sir F.A. Rien wrote in
:

Mail is still a bargain. 60 years ago stamps cost 5 cents and coffee
cost 5 cents. Today stamps are 45 cents and coffee is above $1.

Bill

But then we had 'regular coffee', today it's latte, espresso and other
stared big bucks.

Regular coffee at Denny's is $1.95. With an AARP discount I can get a
cup for $1. A grande (medium-size) cup of regular coffee at our local
Starbucks is $1.80.

Menawhile that 5¢ paid for anything that was under an ounce - not so
today! Effectively, to mail an eBay lot of ONE stamp with a good
stiffener, it costs 86¢!

Why you need a stiffener for one stamp is beyond me. If your envelope is
under an ounce, the extra nonmachinable cost is still only 20 cents,
making your total 66 cents.

If you want to comply with eBay 'rules' for a tracking, 1st Class is
no longer allowed to have delivery confirmation, so you have to move
up to "first Class Parcel with confirmation at $2.97.

I don't use eBay so I don't need to track stamps.

I can still get a cuppa for LESS than that!

No argument there, although I doubt you can get an espresso or latte for
that price.

A few years ago I stopped using the APS stamps selling service because
of the high cost of forwarding the packages on to others. For awhile the
next person on my list was about four blocks away and I avoided the
charge by carrying the package to him personally.