Old March 7th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default McMurtry's Oscar speech

"Ted Jones" wrote in message
"Kris Baker" wrote in
. com:

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jon Meyers wrote:

At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the
booksellers of the world for keeping alive the culture of the
book...

Flunky: "But, sir, you *are* A Bookseller."

Boss: "I know"

Flunky: "So you're thanking yourself?"

Boss: pause "Maybe."

Alright, alright. But to walk into the belly of the Beast and to
praise book culture to the chief purveyors of visual culture, well,
I'd like to think that was just his little way of sticking it to the
man.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I thought it was wonderful. I also liked Clooney's acceptance
speech.

Kris

I too was pleased It was appropriate in a catagory that rewarded the
adaptation for a screenplay. It said that without the stories, there
would be no movie. Better still, the author was there. I doubt he
contemplated a huge exodus to Archer, Texas in search of his wares.

He was close to shutting the whole thing down. If anything, he is the
anti-Bill Gates. I didn't even notice a reference to a cool website. I
may have to go there to see if he has an "Ephemera Section" devoted
entirely to "New Yorkers".

My girlfriend gave a salute similar to that given in the 1968 Olympics.

Fashion Police question - Was he really wearing denim? (I don't belive
the FAQs forbid this question in this context)

TTFN

Ted.

Yeah, he did. Jeans and a tuxedo jacket.

Kris