Old September 7th 05, 10:50 PM
kittywake

R. Totale wrote:
On 7 Sep 2005 12:10:48 -0700, "John R. Yamamoto-Wilson"
wrote:

I'm sure it's worth much more than a penny, but until one can ascertain
to what extent this is a book that someone with an interest in the
field might wish to own it's difficult to get a clear sense of its
value.

Or one could take the easy way out (well the Sotheby's/Christies way
out, anyway) and note it's come up for auction about 30 times in the
last 25 years, most copies boasting a complement of 42 hand colored
(or coloured) plates, some with various minor faults, at prices as low
as $85 for an incomplete (but more complete than the OPs) copy to a
high of $1850. Several fully colored copies have sold recently (1990s
forward) for about $850, several others, complete but with no mention
of coloring for around $300-350. A nice book, then, with continuing
interest, but not rare in commerce.

Well gentlemen,
It would seem that I have achieved not too bad a purchace
in obtaining this book. Both the content and the author especially will
require a lot of further research on my part.As most of you say, very
little seems to be known of the author.
Desirability...for myself ,that tends to go hand in hand with price.
I base mostly all my collection purchases,on condition first then price

takeing into account rarity, if the price does not meet my
approval,then I do not desire it.
The english short title catalogue lists three editions,one of which....
london...[1792/96] this edn.with dated preface,issued 42
parts,watermarks on paperdated 1794/95.
Your remarks on ''hand coloured prints'' ...yes...that is going to be
very
hard to prove one way or the other.
I thank you all very much for your interest, comments, and time.
All the very best for now,
John