Old February 1st 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste

Default Survey: The Good, The Bad about eBay - Worthwhile Coin Websites & Alternative Ideas?

"Nick Knight" wrote:

QUESTIONS:

Can anyone provide a reference to a coin trading/selling/buying web site
that they find worthwhile and valuable? Does anyone buy from a
particular
site often? Or perhaps a dealer who has a particularly useful site?

I'm not buying a lot at current prices, and will probably be looking
at selling some of stuff in March or so.

That being said, I've purchased around 10 coins from Northeast
Numismatics,
http://www.northeastcoin.com/, I've been delighted with every one.

Ok, so not as many questions as I had first thought. But lets see what
It's
not very high-powered, and it's now on a cable connection (means my
uploads,
or outsider's web hits)are slower than when I had DSL). But it's a more
dependable connection, overall. I'm going to make a list of my
world-wide
proof sets I have for sale and post it. I'll then post links in various
places and try to get interested parties to look. So, is there a
central
place on which to try and get mentioned? Could/should there be?

Check your agreement to see if your service allows you to run a
commercial webserver from your home. Many do not. Also, as a
simple matter of security policy, I do not visit websites
identified only by an IP address, so consider establishing a
domain name and using a dynamic DNS provider.

There are undoubtedly better forums where you can research and
discuss the pros and cons of running a web server at home versus
using a hosting service. 'nuff said.

What if there was a google-like thing specifically for coin sites where
dealers and collectors could list their wares? Perhaps labeled somehow
as
collector/dealer or something in between? Hard to do, I suppose.

More time consuming than techinically challenging. It's easier if you
can associate the Buy/Sell "classifieds" with a general discussion forum,
but then you end up taking on both eBay and PCGS. But it can be done.
I've both bought and sold photography gear on such a site, even though
eBay dominates that marketplace as much as coins.

--
Michael Benveniste --