Old June 24th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

Default A Major Brag - Waverley 1st

wrote:

On Jun 22, 6:02 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

I am in shock.

Today at a friends of the library book sale, I picked up volumes 2 and 3 of the
first edition of Sir Walter Scott's _Waverley; or, 'Tis Sixty Years After_.
Edinburgh 1814, Printed by Ballantyne and Co. for Archibald Constable and Co.,
brown marbled boards, quarter bound in calf, gilt lines and titles on spine with
gilt on burgundy leather title pastedowns. Scott's name never shows; it was
published anonymously. The two volumes are in very good condition, with half
titles and all required blank pages intact. Vol 2 has the first issue misprints
on pages 136, 256. Cost: $1.00 each.

Francis A. Miniter

That is a Mega Find! Congrats! Now you need to search high and low
for volume 1, or locate a university library that is lacking volumes 2
and 3.

Jerry

I know. I feel like I have a lifetime task ahead of me! I learned today that
the books at the sale were donated by an estate, after the rest were sent off to
auction. The husband had been a dealer and collector until his death in the
1970s. The wife left things sit, and she recently died.

Francis A. Miniter