Old October 5th 03, 07:08 PM
Harv

"AnswerMan2" wrote in message
The fact the C. Cipoletti and the ANA Board don't recognize this and
try to do something about it is the biggest reason to be pessimistic
about the future of the ANA.

If this really were a fact you would have ample grounds for pessimism.

However,
it is not a fact because the board has been doing battle with this problem
almost since the ANA was first organized. The current board would welcome
ideas from the members that could improve member retention, but before you
offer suggestions consider that they probably already have been tried and

have
failed. It would be great if we could wave a magic wand and get those

175,000
ex-members back - less the large number that have died in the meantime -

but I
don't know of any numismatic group - large or small - that isn't having

similar
membership problems.

Lastly, let's modify my statement to meet your complaint by saying that

the ANA
is the largest organized numismatic group in the world. That is a fact.
Alan Herbert
ANA Governor

Well let's see.. what have I gotten for my membership so far, which I think
cost me either $30.00 when I signed up at the ANA table at the first Long
Beach Show this year..

In no particular order -

a) Monthly issues of The Numismatist..
b) A big 3" bronze ANA oil lamp / 2000 Calendar Medal which was promised to
me as a signup spiff since I already had a loupe and didn't want the video
tape which I'd already seen..
c) A small 1" bronze ANA oil lamp Medal which was first sent to me and then
I complained that I was promised the big 3" bronze medal.. I complained, the
ANA woman who had made the promise made good on it and the big metal was
sent to me..
d) A $2.00 discount twice on admission to the Long Beach Coin Show..
e) Ability to submit directly to NGC.. which I have taken advantage of..
f) Ability to purchase coin collection insurance at a decent rate through
the ANA's carrier on which I had to submit a claim a month later when a
shipment of valuable coins was rifled and stolen in transit to me.. the
insurance carrier was dragging their feet until I called the ANA and got an
executive to rattle their cage, and then I got very prompt and satisfactory
settlement including the check FEDEXed to me..
g) Ability to vote in the recent ANA election (in which I voted for you

So far, that's it. I would say that being a member for half a year, I have
more than gotten value for my $30.00 membership fee.. and with all this in
mind, I am quite likely to renew my membership next year..

Harv