Old October 5th 03, 05:38 PM
Bob Peterson

This is a problem for coin clubs all over, and for the coin industry.
Younger people typically do not have the time and money to put into coin
collections, as they are spending it on other things (like educating their
children). The only solution I have heard is to try and interest younger
collectors in less expensive coins, but its hard to convince people to
collect wheatbacks that are not interested in them. I like foreign coins
and tokens (and other forms of exonumia such as wooden nickels) because
there is a wide variety of interesting stuff out there, and its far more
affordable.

A lot of collectors started collecting in the 40s and 50s when you could get
really neat coins out of circulation. Now, most coins are pretty blah,
until the state quarter program came along. I think maybe a redesign of our
coinage is in order. Personally, I would like to go back to allegorical
figures, rather than the politically charged issue of what political hack to
put on a coin.

Wouldn't it be neat to have barber quarters again in circulation? Or
buffalo nickels? How about WL halves? All of these were great coin
designs, and I think maybe its time to bring them back. How about we start
by bring back the IHC?

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message

The fact the C. Cipoletti and the ANA Board don't recognize this and
try to do something about it is the biggest reason to be pessimistic
about the future of the ANA.

I think he recognizes it but he and the
board haven't figured out a way to turn
around the situation. It is a serious issue of course. The average age

of
an ANA member is somewhere around the
mid 50's. In 30 years most will probably
be gone. Unless the ANA can attract
younger members...well you can see where things might be headed.