Old June 25th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John Townsend

Default An English Cartoonist's View

Many thanks to Jerry Morris for pointing out that the cartoon appeared in
"Les Cahiers de l'Echiquier Français 1933 - 1936." I shall need to enquire
whether it was obtained from an earlier source and, if so, from where.

Jerry writes: "I would not be surprised to find that Staunton published the
English cartoon either in his magazine, "The Chess Player's Chronicle," or
in the "Illustrated London News" ..."

However, I don't think it appeared in either of the above.

I have tended to assume that the cartoon was more or less contemporary, i.e.
published only shortly after the match (1843), but I suppose this need not
be the case.

Thanks again and best wishes,

John Townsend,
Howard Staunton Research Project: