Old July 14th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

Default Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin

In article ,
Barney wrote:
"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in
:

This will be opposed by the vending machine lobby on the grounds of
expense, and by those stuck in the past generally.

Why? Most vending machines have been set up to accept dollar coins for
years since the late 70s. And most noticeably since the year 2000.

I have made a practice of obtaining rolls of dollar coins from my bank
and putting them into circulation. (What can I say? I have a thing for
lost causes. Anyone know where I can get a tape measure marked in both
inches and centimeters?) At one place I worked, I was using dollar coins
in the vending machines, which had no trouble recognizing them. One day
I find that an insert had been installed in the coin slot to prevent
anything larger than a quarter from being used. It was the same machine,
just modded to no longer accept dollar coins.

I no longer offer to accept dollar coins in change, as it confuses the
heck out of cashiers. The think I am asking for change for a dollar.

Some of the rolls will contain a few SBA's. Durring Girl Scout cookie
season, I try to use whatever SBA and Sacajawea dollars I have on hand
to purchase cookies.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Autoreply disabled | --Ronald Reagan, October 26, 1984