Old September 11th 05, 02:18 AM
Merlin Dorfman

LM5403 wrote:

"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message
The Jefferson nickel of 1938 has wavy steps on Monticello on the
reverse that blur into the railings on either side. In 1939, they
touched up the design to make the steps clearer, and also added a
shallow depressed line on either side of the steps to separate them
from the railings.
The first type is the "Reverse of 1938." Both types were used for
business strikes and Proofs in 1939, so the new type is called the
"Reverse of 1940." However, at least one "Rev. of '38" Proof die was
used in 1940, so on 1939 and 1940 Proofs it is relevant to specify the
reverse type.
Tom DeLorey
www.harlanjberk.com

Thanks for the prompt, thorough, and most informative reply.
Internet/Usenet at its best.
If I read the above correctly, both types were used in 1939,
so a 1939 coin could be designated "Reverse of 1940"?

The designations a

1939 rev 38
1939 rev 40
1940 rev 38
1940 rev 40

I still need a 40 rev 38 for my early Jeff proof set, got the other 7 in
decent grades.

Are there comparative images of the two reverses on the Web
somewhere? I tried the above four designations on Google Images
and didn't come up with anything relevant.