Old September 27th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Default Today's Finds

[To keep this thread going...] I recently took the train up to
Hastings-on-Hudson, where there are three bookstores worth a visit
(and hence, worth the train fare). I came home with the usual bag of
goodies, including:

- A proof copy of Robert Silverberg's LORD VALENTINE'S CASTLE. This is
the first novel in his major fantasy cycle, The Majipoor Chronicles.
Perfect condition, and reasonably priced.

- A proof copy of Anne Rice's TALE OF THE BODY THIEF.(I like to have a
proof of one book by authors I collect, and I have all her first
editions, either American or British.)

- A biography of British novelist Angela Thirkell, who brought
Trollope's Barsetshire stories into the twentieth century (for a
friend who likes her work).

- R.A. MacAvoy's THE LENS OF THE WORLD, the first volume in a fantasy
trilogy by the author of TEA WITH THE BLACK DRAGON.

- A very nice copy of THE ANNOTATED 'FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON'. This
was one of a planned series of annotated and re-translated editions of
the Jules Verne novels; as far as I can tell, however, only this and
TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA were ever printed.

- An Alfred Hitchcock anthology, MURDERER'S ROW, in a British (Severn
House) edition. This series seems to have started while the Random
House anthologies were still coming out, but much of the content--as
far as I can figure--came from the magazine that bore the director's
name. Since they don't duplicate the U.S. hardcover collections, I've
been on the lookout for these.

- A collection of essays by John Galsworthy, A COMMENTARY. This is
signed and numbered, #6 of 250 copies originally for sale.

All of this set me back a little over $100, plus transportation!