Old January 4th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Grove Press 1st of Juliette

I found at Savers, a used goods store, this evening on the
way home, a first printing (1968) of the Grove Press edition
of the Marquis de Sade's *Juliette* , 1205 pages, with dust
jacket (with only minor defects) and light foxing to the top
edges (otherwise fine) and the first complete publication of
the work in America. For the older readers, like myself,
Grove Press was the publishing house that fought obscenity
battle after obscenity battle in the 50s and 60s in order to
be able to publish a large list of books banned in America.
While I do not shelve them together (unless it otherwise
suits the shelving scheme), I always keep an eye out for the
Grove Press firsts.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen