Old January 27th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

Default "Real" Money

wrote in message
ps.com...
I agree with all of these points, but the USA (except for gold coins
minted prior to
1933) has never demonitized any of its currency. It is all still
good! The USA is
understandably reluctant to break this policy. How to introduce the US
$ 1.-
coin without demontizing the US$ 1.- bill. That is the problem no one
has solved.

Can you?

GFH

Just stop printing them. They wear out pretty fast. Before long they'll be
effectively out of circulation and will represent just an occasional
nuisance at the register. Witness the "found in change" threads. Hehe.
They'll start a whole new round of "this dopey young store clerk refused to
take my $1 notes - called the manager... (etc.)" threads.

After a few years everyone will wonder what the fuss was about.

Here in Australia, the complete changeover was measured in months, not
years. I'm still gobsmacked at how quickly the paper $1 and $2 disappeared.

--
Jeff R.