Old September 22nd 03, 05:25 PM
braves-lady

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
news:saobb.3871$sp2.3054@lakeread04...
"Scot Kamins" wrote in message

I've noticed several designs for the Harvard Classics 50 - volume (51?
52?) set. One set is green with a uniform (plain) design, another is
multicolored with various designs. What's the original?

Yes, I am interested in this question too--although I have not yet done

any
research on it. Because the Harvard Classics included E.B. Pusey's
translation of St. Augustine's *Confessiones*, I have been gathering

copies
of that volume (volume 7) for my Augustine's Confessions collection.

In front of me, I have two Harvard Classics ("The Five-Foot Shelf of

Books")
copies:

(1) Brown cloth with gold spine lettering (NY: P.F. Collier & Son Company,
1909).

(2) Red cloth with elaborate black spine label and gold lettering,

including
the Harvard crest on the front cover, "Edition Deluxe" on the spine,
"Registered Edition" on the half-title (NY: P.F. Collier & Son Company,
1909, 1957; later printing 1960).

I've seen lots of other bindings. Before I buy any more at random I would
like to get an idea of how many types of bindings and editions the series
went through.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I have the 56th printing , 1965 (came free with a set of encyclopedias,
guess I got them in the late sixties). There are 50 numbered volumes, an
unnumbered "Lectures" volume and a slim "15 minutes a day reading guide".
Braveslady