Old October 7th 04, 09:06 PM
Phil DeMayo

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote:

Halves was common items (about equal in use to quarters) until the
USMint screwed up by not making them 'cupro-nickel clad' like dimes and
quarters were in 1965.

I don't think that was the main reason and I don't believe a lot of people
realized that the half still had silver in it until 1970. They'd look at the
edge, see the copper sandwich and assume they were copper-nickel clad.

Although they did circulate somewhat throughout the 60s to a limited extent, I
can think of a few reasons (listed in order of importance):

a. the Kennedy mystique....people hoarded them
b. couldn't use them in the majority of vending machines
c. the size...although not a problem in the past
d. some people knew they contained some silver through 1970 and hoarded them
e. some people though tthey contained silver even after 1970 and hoarded them

A few weeks ago I received a Kennedy half in change for the first time in about
10 years. I did my civic duty and immediately put it back in circulation.

Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits