Old February 11th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default 1oz Silver Eagle - 1996 - Key Date ?

On Monday, February 11, 2013 11:34:39 AM UTC-6, ps56k wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote in message ... In article , "bremick" wrote: "ps56k" wrote in message ... I've been buying some 1oz American Silver Eagles for my son, going back to his birthdate in 1990 - It appears that the 1996 Silver Eagle has some special significance ?? as the APMEX website lists the description as - "Key Date" ------- A little bit lower mintage for the 1996. The relative price difference used to be greater, but as the value of silver has risen over the past few years, the other dates have increased in value faster than the premium on the 1996. If silver ever reaches $40 again, the premium for the 1996 may have disappeared and bullion value will rule. The issue is condition as well as mintage. For some reason, many 1996's were "struck ugly" and looked like circulated/damaged pieces right out of the original tubes. I'd wager that 1996's have been thrown into deeler's melt buckets at a higher rate than most other dates. If you're in the market for a 1996 iggle, LOOK AT IT CLOSELY before buying it. A picky buyer may profit handsomely over the "it's a 1996, so I'll take it" buyer in the long run ... -- looked it up in the Coin Prices magazine - 1996 - 3,603,386 MS-65 $62

The people who publish Coin Prices don't sell coins. They sell coin newspapers, and high prices help to sell printed papers.

A major coin buyer says they pay $50 (compared to $33 for commons), so I suppose you will have to pay 10% or 15% north of $50 to get an example of 1996.

I don't remember if it's the 1994 or 1996, but in one of those years, a lot of the Unc. examples have a kind of "milky" surface. Those won't bring full boat retail, so don't pay full boat retail if the coin isn't brilliant.

oly