Old March 8th 05, 11:28 PM
Anita

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:17:14 +0100, Bob Hairgrove
There are 1998 and later cents with the wide AM, but the Red Book says
these were all minted from proof dies which show this anomaly. All of
these are Philadelphia, apparently, although all the "real" proofs
minted during those years have an "S" mint mark.

You might want to hunt around for a 1984 proof Lincoln for comparison.

This coin is definitely the wrong year and mint for Type II. Maybe
this is a "thin column" variety, analogous to the Wisconsin quarter
"fat leaf" variety :-) I am very penny illiterate, so I don't know if
this is a common characteristic of many pennies from the D mint of the
year. The strike is very good, but the lines are very thin. I also
just noticed that the "L" of libery on the obverse is missing. It
doesn't look like wear, either. It just looks like it isn't there.

Anita