Old July 8th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

Default Indonesian pre-independence stamps

I googled "Prangko catalog" and found a few interesting sites,
especially http://www.vanstamp.com/. This site offers a
downloadable catalog "Revolutionary Stamps of Indonesia
1945-1949"and also has ads for books on the Vienna issues
($40), Japanese Occupation issues ($50) and Indonesian
revenues 1942-1949 ($27). All are in English.

This also led me to google "Dai Nippon Society", and it turns
out that this group not only published the first two books above
but has also published "Catalogue of the Postage Stamps of
the Republic of Indonesia 17 august 1945 - 27 december 1949"
by Vosse. However, I was unable to find a web site or any
other contact information for this group. The group apparently
is in the Netherlands but publishes in English.

Billig's Philatelic Handbook vol. 19 also contains a nearly
contemporary (1947) handbook - "Dai Nippon in South East
Asia" by Hedeman and Boekema. Seems quite comprehensive
for such an old volume, but I'm sure that the newer work is
probably better.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article 5Wxck.358$qW.82@trndny03, says...

I have accumulated about a dozen used intra-island provisionals. I have an
old magazine from the Indonesian
postal museum, I believe, which pictures most of them, but I am enquiring as
to whether or not there is a catalog or study available that accounts for
the denominations of each set issued during that period. I also have no
idea of scarcity or value. I have one used duplicate by design and
denomination, but it has a slightly different shade.

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:02:19 GMT, "Tom Messner"
wrote:

Do you know of any references for the local provisional "Blockade" issues
of
Indonesia that were used intra-island just prior to those printed in
Vienna,
Austria. Also, do you know of any references for the Japanese and local
overprinted stamps of Netherlands Indies from WWII and prior to
independence
being recognized? These issues are depicted and briefly footnoted in
Michel.

Tom -

Are you telling us about this or asking for a reference?