Old February 24th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default First African-American

Johnny Doe wrote:

Crispus Attucks? How about George Washington Carver and Booker T.
Washington? At least they were on REAL coins, not some NCLT junk.

Sigh OK, here I go! George Washington Carver, Booker T Washington,
and Jackie Robinson coins were all commemoratives, as was the Crispus
Attucks. However, the difference I was trying to state was that only
the latter was referred to by race, the "Black Patriot" coin. I think
that James has the earliest one, although it wasn't referred to as the
African-American head! 8-)
The point I was attempting to make was to differentiate coins named
after the person depicted. AFAIK, nobody refers to the "Black
Patriots" coin as the Crispus Attucks coin. I have failed.