Old December 13th 19, 12:30 PM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Serbin View Post
On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 6:10:32 PM UTC-6, Tim Serbin wrote:
I am having a few issues with the play speed as it varies when playing a record.I have a speed coil on the way so that should be installed in a few days.
I have the manual and I am trying to adjust the counter weight. I loosened the lock nut but the counter weight will not turn. I have a stylus force gauge and there is about 9 grams of force on the stylus and I should be at 4 to 5 grams.
Also, is the rubber idler wheel supposed to have play in it? Should I be able to move it up and down on its stem?
Just a few issues I am having. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and have a blessed holiday!

Well I fixed the counter weight issue and set to 4.5 grams. Improved play slightly.
Hello Tim,

I normally set up the tracking weight to be about 3.5 grames.

Have you stripped down the turntable motor to remove old lubrication and the check for wear? There should be up and down movementon the turntable motor shaft but no left to right or forwards and backwards movement, if there is the shaft is worn or the upper bronze bearing.

Check the three rubber mounts, if you are waiting for a speed spring you must be in Europe, Australia or New Zealand etc.

The idler wheel linkage should only move up & down if a speed kit was fitted to the mechanism for playing at 33.3 rpm as well as 45 rpm records, most home uses disable the linkage solenoid so it plays dinked or undinked records at 45 rpm.

Regards
Alan
ami-man
UK