Old May 30th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Question about nickle ingot

On May 30, 4:04 pm, "John Ahnen" wrote:
Today while at the local convenience store, the clerk was talking with a
customer and showing him a metal bar.

When my turn came I asked him about the bar and he said that a man had found
five of them in an old barn and sold him one of the bars for $20.

He said it weighed 3#, and when I felt it, that felt about right. I don't
remember the name that was on it, but it did say Nickle with some XXXs on
it. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the value?

Well, the spot price of nickel has dropped to now around US$10 per
pound, so assuming '3#' means 3 pounds, that makes c. $30 of nickel,
if pure.

That said, I don't think there are many (if any) places where you can
sell small amount of nickel as a commodity.