Old November 17th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Default collectors participation

I wrote :
Not so many contributors nowadays here on RCSD :-(

Victor Manta :

Unfortunately, it is more than true.

"Sir F.A. Rien" :
Interest in all world collections has been dropping as many can not
afford to 'keep up' with the spurious flood of 'issues'.

Many, as myself, have specialized in limited areas.

I 'trashed' my US collection when they went to garbage issues in the
1980's. Cut back my GB to pre-decimal and have further cut back to
acquiring primarily QV period.

Same for me : from the 1st of January 2001, I stopped buying the
rubbish produced by the French Post. At that date the Euro became the
official currency of France and the face values were then written only
in Euros. I had nothing against the adoption of the Euro but it was a
symbolic date.

At that date France has issued 3442 "ordinary" stamps (plus the "back of
the book" ones like Air Post, Postage Due, Pre-Cancelled, ...)
Amongst the 3442 my want list consists of about 10 stamps and I do not
think I will ever be abble to buy all of them :-)

So I decided to limit myself to the 106 stamps of the "Classic" period
(1849-1900) and to acquired stamps of better quality from that period.

I also decided to begin to collect Australia after acquiring some 8 000
Australian stamps in a kiloware sale. And I was delighted and still am
in discovering the philately of this country that I visited lengtly in 2
occasions.

All that said, there's little of interest here for me, though I
'monitor' to aid where it falls within my area of study.

The same for me : I continue to come here and try to help if possible.

You might like seeing:
http://philately.ttrr.org/gb/gb04008.html

Thanks for this quite interesting site.
I noticed there is a chapter on Australia that I will visit in detail
ASAP !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade